- House calls are made by doctors and nurse practitioners for primary and urgent care
- We offer a full range of diagnostic tests and treatments comparable to an urgent care center
- Home delivery of medications and equipment
- Coordination of home nursing, physical therapy, and hospice
- On-call physician: 24 hours a day, seven days a week by phone
- Mobile electronic health record (EHR)
- Coordination of specialty care and procedures at MedStar Washington Hospital Center and MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital
- In-home counseling and caregiver support by social workers and other staff
- Coordination of in-home support services, such as home health aides, respite care, and financial assistance
- (DC only) Case management for the Medicaid Elderly and Persons with Disabilities (EPD) Waiver
Hospital Care and Specialists
Our team coordinates emergency, hospital and specialty care at MedStar Washington Hospital Center and MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital. Patients may keep their previous specialist doctors and we can work with them as needed. If new specialist care is required, we make a referral at MedStar Washington Hospital Center or MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital. Our office staff schedule the specialty appointment and can assist in arranging transportation to the appointment.
When House Call patients require hospitalization, either through the emergency department or a scheduled admission, our nurse practitioners and doctors arrange the admission, and our doctors care for you in the hospital. Our clinicians work with office staff to coordinate admissions to MedStar Washington Hospital Center's Geriatrics Unit or MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital depending on patient location. In DC, our physicians also provide Ortho-Geriatric hospital care to non-house call patients. This specialty service was created to ease complications and provide geriatric expertise to MWHC.
Social Work Services
Social worker services, if needed, include a licensed social worker who will provide care coordination services to our patients. Care coordination services include:
- Psychosocial assessment
- Development of an individual treatment plan
- Information and referral to appropriate resources and supports
- Education, emotional support and counseling to patients and families
- Advocacy within service networks
- Crisis intervention
- Assists with identifying alternative placement as needed
Jennifer Hayashi, MD, medical director of MedStar House Call Program Care in Baltimore, explains the healthcare system's medical house call program for aging adults.